The current Waikamaka and Kiwi Saddle Huts were built by Club members in 1966 and 1988 respectively, while Howletts Hut was enlarged and extensively renovated by the Club in 1979 . The Club is responsible for the ongoing upkeep of the huts. As they are not part of the DOC hut network we receive no funding from DOC and expenses are funded by donations from hut users.
Many thanks to the following parties who have recently donated to our hut fund: R Glendinning, Waikato Tramping Club, D Kerr, Ross/Sheahan, D Burrell, J Brennan, C Tuffley, S Tribe, Baker/Ruschan, K Boenmer, E Smith, Menzies/Clark, E Bowden, Jamieson Grp, Wanganui Tramping Club, AS Pharo, M Coppelmans, M Griffith, Bishop/Tylee, O Mata, P&G Lamarche, Tararua Tramping Club, & G Chapman.
Last Autumn we completed a new verandah, decking and water tank at Waikamaka Hut which was funded in part by hut donations and over Winter we have helicoptered more coal into Howletts Hut and March 2018 installed a new bench top in Howletts Hut.
Kiwi Saddle Hut
A tramp to Kiwi Saddle Hut, located in the Kaweka Range on the watershed between the Tutaekuri and Ngaruroro Rivers due north of Kuripapango will take 4 - 5 hours from the lakes Road carpark
Howletts Hut, is situated on the Ruahine tops due west of Waipawa 6 - 7 hours tramping from Kashmir Road or Mill Road. At 1365 m elevation it is the highest hut in the Ruahine Range.